ADDRESS: 3600 GREYSTONE DR. Apt 547 ● AUSTIN, TX 78731
PHONE: (512) 363-0671 ● EMAIL: email@example.com
Education & Experience
University of Texas at Austin 2013 – Present
- Ph.D., Government
o Expected graduation, Spring 2020
o Bryan Jones (co-Chair), Christopher Wlezien (co-chair), Brian
Eugenio Y. Arima (UT Geography Dept.)
Fulbright Korea 2010 – 2013
Taught English speaking and writing
classes at Cheongwon High School
in South Korea.
· Critical Language Enhancement Award at Jungwon University (2011).
AmeriCorps City Year 2009 – 2010
Tutored and organized service
activities for low income high school
students in Seattle.
College of Wooster 2005 – 2009
· B.A., International Relations
· Dynamic Policy Responsiveness without Democracy: The Importance of Outcomes
· Examines the tangible outcomes of policy responsiveness and how they dynamically feed back on both public opinion and policy.
· Analysis focuses on air pollution; includes the states and 319 localities in the United States (2006 – 2016), and the provinces and 274 localities in China (2013 – 2015).
- Policy Responsiveness, Public Opinion, Authoritarianism, Federalism, Policy Implementation.
- Air Pollution Outcomes, Policy Effectiveness, Public Awareness, Remote Sensing Data.
· Lavenex, Sandra, Flavia Jurje, Terri Givens, and Ross Buchanan. 2016. “Regional Migration Governance”. In The Oxford Handbook of Comparative Regionalism, eds. Tanja A. Börzel and Thomas Risse. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 457–85.
· Qin, Xiaolei, and Ross Buchanan. Forthcoming. “Policy and Public Preferences Regarding the University Enrollment Quotas System across Chinese Provinces”. Higher Education Policy.
- “All Politics is Local? Policy Responsiveness of Local, State, and National Governments in the United States.” Midwest Political Science Association. 2019.
- “Responsiveness and Feedback under Authoritarianism: The Public, City Governments, and Air Pollution in China.” Southern Political Science Association. 2019.
- Responsiveness and Feedback under Authoritarianism: The Public, City Governments, and Air Pollution in China.” Southern Political Science Association. 2019.
- “Policy Implementation Responsiveness to Public Participation in an Authoritarian Regime.” Midwest Political Science Association. 2018.
- “Policy Responsiveness in Authoritarian Regimes: The Case of Air Pollution in China.” Midwest Political Science Association. 2017.
Geospatial analysis in R
· Working with satellite-derived air pollution data and NOAA atmospheric data
· Using explicitly spatial models such as lagged spatial autoregressive (SAR) models.
· Completed specialized course at the Statistics & Data Sciences Dept. at UT Austin (2017).
Structural Equation Modeling in R
· Using structural equation models to account for error correlation in systems of equations and estimating latent variables.
· Completed specialized course at the Statistics & Data Sciences Dept. at UT Austin (2018).
Web Scraping in Python
· Used Python (through Selenium WebDriver) to collect and analyze thousands of Chinese government work reports and articles in state newspapers.